- On January 10, 2020
Although it is widely believed that 50% of all marriages end in divorce, the number of divorces in the U.S. has generally declined over the past few years, according to the CDC. That said, one segment of the population has seen an increase in the divorce rate – older generations in long-term marriages! With “grey” divorces on the rise, the division of assets and personal issues can be more complicated.
The challenges and planning concerns in “grey” divorces are unique because older couples generally have:
- invested many years in the marital relationship
- accumulated more wealth, naturally creating more legal and tax issues
- less time to recoup financially due to living in or close to retirement
- increased physical and mental health issues
- experienced the loss of friends, parents and other colleagues
- complex family dynamics with children and grandchildren
Competent legal counseling well before any settlement negotiations or legal proceedings commence can help make the dissolution process more efficient and less costly – both emotionally and financially.
The Litigation Practice Group at Kelleher & Buckley, LLC assists clients before, during and after divorce. We appreciate the individual needs of each client and work closely to help them understand family law and its impact on their unique circumstances.
If you, a family member, a friend or a colleague is contemplating divorce, or requires divorce-related legal services, please contact Andrew J. Kelleher, David P. Buckley, Raymond M. Rudnick or any of our 25+ attorneys. Call 847-382-9130 or email us at email@example.com.